Monday, January 12, 2009

Ennui

Ugh, sometimes I really hate hormones.  After over three years of regulated hormonal levels, I'd forgotten what a roller coaster "the cycle" could be.  Let's face it: I'm not the most steady person with regulation, much less hormonally free-styling.  So I've been up, down, hot, cold, and everything in between, for the last four weeks.  And now it's officially PMS week, and I can feel it.  I've picked a fight with James, nearly wrecked the car, and caught myself in self-destructive thinking more times than I can count in the last few days.  The only consolation is that I'm a teensy bit more self-aware of the impact hormones play on my emotions than I was four years ago.  Back then, if I was feeling moody, I would just lash out without thinking about whether the instigator was really worthy of my energy or if the hormones were making me blow an innocuous situation out of proportion.  Drove James crazy.  Over the last few days, I've felt crummy and have lashed out a few times, but was usually able to catch myself at least understanding the cause-and-effect nature of hormones vs. Kristina (vs. the world).

Perhaps "ennui" is the wrong term, but it sounds so fancy, as if using a French term makes it classier to be moody.  Perhaps I should stick to good ol' American "despondence" or "melancholic." 

Do you know why they call it PMS?  Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken.

Oh, and in case you're putting 2 and 2 together (you clever mathematician!) we're not trying to get pregnant just yet, so put back that layette set, pack up the booties.  All in good time, all in good time...

3 comments:

Emily said...

"Do you know why they call it PMS? Because "Mad Cow Disease" was already taken."

That is the funniest thing I heard in a long time!
Well even though you may not be trying yet - just wait until you are preggers. It takes hormonal instability to an other-worldly level!
good luck.
maybe have a cup of tea - just don't throw it on anyone ;)

Mindi said...

It's usually when you are NOT trying to get pregnant that you end up pregnant.

I prefer the real hormones rather than the artificial ones but then again, I'm usually not that moody.

Heather Whitley said...

Going on and off the pill is a roller coaster in and of itself. Give it three months to settle down. It does get a little better (but not as much as you probably wish it would).

I also find Enduralytes by Hammer nutrition to temper hormone-induced mood swings within ten minutes. It might be placebo, but magnesium, manganese, calcium and some of its other ingredients are getting quite a following in anti-pms studies. And if nothing else, it's only a bunch of salts.

Good luck with the roller coaster. Ovulation can be a tough task master at times.