Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Build-Up

So I'm sitting in the rocker in the nursery, rocking my 2-day-old baby girl while she sleeps, so let's see if I can get out the details of her Arrival before she wakes and distracts me again forever.

On Monday, November 30, 2009, went to see my doctor in the morning. I was 40 weeks and 2 days gestational age and frankly beginning to wonder if I'd just be pregnant forever. I'd gotten this silly notion somewhere in my second trimester that I'd deliver early, sometime between November 15th and the 25th. Ha. So much for a mother's intuition. So I'd been rather depressed for a while about my body's lack of cooperation with my plans, but by this visit, I'd decided I'd just enjoy what time I had left to myself and James and if the baby didn't make her appearance by Saturday the 5th, we'd induce. Sarah said that the more one plans for a post-term induction, the less likely the chances that one needs to get one, so we set the appointment for me to come in on Friday evening to get things started and I made an appointment for a fetal stress test on Wednesday, etc, etc.

I came home and decided a nice walk to Bed, Bath and Beyond would be nice. The air was crisp and clear, so I bundled up and walked over to buy some clips to hang our stockings from the fireplace and a shower head that James later said he wanted to return. I got a peppermint hot chocolate (that was really more warm than hot) from Starbucks on the way home and arrived home after James had already gotten home from work. We did our own thing for a bit, including James surfing reviews of shower heads and I did some quilting.

We were both on our way towards getting peckish, so we settled on Vietnamese sandwiches. We walked over to Best Baguette and had a nice meal before coming home and setting up our Christmas tree. Since our tree this year is significantly larger than trees of years past, we had to make a trip to Rite Aid for more ornaments and lights, but since the evening was wearing on and James had work the next day (not really, but he didn't know that at the time), we drove instead of a third walk that evening. We joked about running into the same cashier who sold us castor oil a week ago (which I never did work up the courage to take), but it was someone else at the check stand, so we didn't have to explain why I was still pregnant. We made our way home and decorated our tree, nostalgically putting up ornaments of Christmases past. We got two new ornaments for Christmas this year (first house and baby's first Christmas), but since we wanted to put her birthdate on her first ornament, they sat in the bag waiting to be brought back to the mall for personalization after the birth.

Like I said, James thought he was going in to work the next day, so he made his way up to bed shortly after 10, but I thought I'd stay up and read for a bit, so I settled myself on the couch and read until 11, when the contractions started coming.

To be continued...

No comments: