Friday, May 7, 2010

Oh my...

So, James's sister Emilyann sent us an email about a Big Shoe Event at the Nordstrom Rack, and since James is a size 13-14 shoe, we thought we'd take a little family trip on the MAX to the downtown location to see what they had. Well, the bad news is that they weren't actually having a Sale, just a larger selection of large size shoes, and James didn't really find anything that he liked anyway. The good news is that while he was thus being disappointed in the men's section, I discovered wedges.

I've seen wedges on ladies' feet for years now, but always thought that they didn't apply to me* because 1) they would be too heavy, 2) they would be super uncomfortable, and 3) I'd fall down a lot. Well, I tried on a pair just for kicks and found that 1) they're made of super-light material like cork, 2) some actually have arch support, 3) unlike heels, the wedge gives more stability with the height (although not as steady as flats), and 4) they're rockin' awesome.
Just for reference, this is the pair of shoes I've worn day in and day out for the last 2 1/2 years:

My cordovan Danskos: super comfortable, clunky, workhorse shoes


So, I've needed some brown dress shoes to go with my earth-toned Sunday dresses, so I found this sweet pair:

Brown strappy wedges: I'll have to keep up my pedicure habit with these

And then I saw these.

Whoa Nellie

At first, I thought, "Ha, I should show these to James. He'd get a kick out of 'em. Then I'll put them back because they're about 6" tall and I have nothing to wear with them." But then I tried them on, and thanks to the pedicure that I got three weeks ago and hadn't chipped yet, my feet looked awesome. And I felt fancy and sexy. And I bought 'em. 'Cause they were on sale. Actually, both pairs were on sale. Pretty sweet.


Total bill: about $41 bucks for two rockin' pairs of shoes that once totaled almost $200, make me tower over my hubby and will probably send me shopping for fancier clothes to go with them.

*Upon further reflection, I realized that I actually own a pair of black strappy wedges and have for years. Or rather, I now own a black strappy wedge. The other is a casualty of the move. But I had them, wore them, and never thought of myself as a wedge person. I guess I always filed them into "clunky, strappy, platforms at an angle" instead of "wedges."

No comments: