Monday, November 12, 2007

New skills, new stuff

Today was my third day of Med-Surg clinicals. Through a fluke of my planned patient going into the ICU last night, I was assigned the same patient that I had last week, meaning that I already knew a lot about her. My preceptor nurse was great, allowing me to hang IV meds and flush lines on some of her other patients. I also got to give my patient a Sub-Q (subcutaneous) injection and change her IV line to a saline lock. I also got to watch a COLONOSCOPY! So cool to watch, and the endoscopy nurse was great about explaining her job both before and during the procedure.

Nursing students get excited about the strangest things.

We went down to Newport last weekend to see James' parents and watch a play put on by the local theater group. James' father is pretty involved in the group and designed most of the set for this play, "Sweet Charity." It was enjoyable and they had a live orchestra, which put it head and shoulders above their rendition of "The Music Man." One of the co-directors is a professional dancer, so the dance scenes were fantastic.

Also on this trip, James and I were presented with our Wedding Quilt (2 1/2 years after the actual ceremony) by James' wizard seamstress of a mother. It's beautiful in blues and a swirl/leaf pattern, and it matches our bedside tables and dresser beautifully.




We also got two gifts from James' uncle, both souveniers from his (Uncle Vern's) mission in Brazil in the 1960s, delivered via James' parents. The first is a gorgeous painting of Brazil, and the second is a fancy nut bowl. Maybe we'll fill it with...Brazil nuts.

Or maybe not, as I'm not too fond of them. :)


No comments: