Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Brazil: um dia sen compromiso

Translation: "a day without obligations."  We woke up late and just lazed about the apartment for a while, snacking on yogurt and crackers.  Then off to the beach!  We briefly visited the beach on our arrival day, but this was the first real visit, with swimsuits and sunscreen.  I can't believe it took me this long into our trip to get out to the beach, a mere two blocks from our apartment!  Of course, if I'd discovered the luxury of lying on a Brazilian beach any earlier, I probably never would have seen the sites of the last few days.  (Heck, if I'd found out early enough, I may have never made it through nursing school!)

We got some towels from a local shop and made our way to the beach, where we rented two beach chairs and an umbrella for R$9 total (about $6 in today's exchange).  We then just relaxed on the beach for the better part of the afternoon; from noon until the sun hid behind the hills and skyscrapers, between 4 and 5 pm.  We each took a dip in the Atlantic, which was about swimming-pool temperature, but mostly we people watched.  Because of our obvious American look (I don't know how they knew, since I've seen some very European-looking Cariocas, or residents of Rio, but Felippe says we stand out like sore thumbs) we were constantly being accosted by vendors of food, beverage, clothing, swimsuits (a strange place to sell them; if you didn't already have one, how would you try it on?), jewelry, henna tatoos, and paintings, to which we replied "Não, obrigada" (No, thanks) so often that I started feeling like I knew Portuguese after all.  Anyway, words cannot describe what pictures can portray:

Ah, the beach!

Relaxing on the sand.

This kid was having so much fun!

"Matte de Leão!" (Iced tea)

Playing in the waves.

Since James didn't get after me for my Felippe-crush, I let him take some pictures to brag to his office-mates back home.

This kid ran his daddy ragged trying to get him in the water!  What fun!

Speedo James!  It's all the rage in Brazil!

We got home with only minor sunburns added to those from previous days (we each missed a few spots with the sunscreen) but a feeling of bliss that can only come from a day in the sun!

2 comments:

Debi said...

Hi Kristina, I just dropped by to see how you were doing. I enjoyed your vacation narrative and pictures. Heather hadn't mentioned that you were taking such a neat trip, so it was a surprise for me.

Mindi said...

James in a speedo?! My eyes! They're burning!!