Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Kristina Ritzman, R.N.

That's right, I'm a Real Nurse.  I took the NCLEX licensing exam on Tuesday and, like every other graduate to take the test before me, was sure I'd failed.  

Without divulging any information about what was on the test (for they will hunt me down and strip me of my license if I even drop a hint), I should explain the nature of the test.  The test is anywhere between 75 and 265 questions.  Once you reach the "magical score" that determines that you are a safe nurse, the test shuts off.  Also, if you answer enough questions incorrectly to determine that your are dangerously unsafe, the test shuts off.  So you don't really know which unless you were totally ace-ing the test.

My test shut off after question 75.  Up to that point, I encountered many questions to which I hadn't a clue as to the correct answer.  Thus, I doubted my performance.

I drove home in a daze and curled up on the couch for a few hours until my visiting teacher Wendy came to take me out to lunch, as we had arranged the week before when she learned I would be taking the test of my life on Tuesday.  We went out to a nice restaurant, Seasons & Regions, and she contrived to distract me from useless worrying for an hour or so.

Then, back to fretting.  I checked the OSBN website a couple dozen times during the day, knowing full well that my license wouldn't show up the same day, but unable to do ought else.  It was during my haunting of the OSBN website that I came across the success of a classmate (you can look anybody up in the state of Oregon) who passed, one who was a total slacker throughout nursing school!  So, I felt a bit more confident.  If this clown could pass the NCLEX, so could I!

I woke up earlier than necessary the next morning and again checked the website.  And Glory Be, there was both my CNA license listed and my RN license!  Making me a bona fide Registered Nurse in the state of Oregon.

In retrospect, it's been a long four years (counting from when I decided to go to nursing school and got my CNA license), and I know I have much to learn in the upcoming months and year, but I'm glad to be over that particular hurdle, one that has been haunting me since I learned about it almost two years ago.

Up next: my ONC certification next year!

If you want to see my name in all it's registered glory, just type in "Ritzman" as the last name here.

Thank you everyone who has supported me or even just put up with me through this journey.  I love you all!

6 comments:

Joanna Barrett said...

Congrats Kristina!!!!! I know it's a lot of hard work and studying to do what you just did, my sister is in the nursing program here, I have a lot of respect for all of you who work through the hard times of school and rotations. Enjoy your accomplishment!!!!

Holly said...

Wow! Congrats! That's great news! We're so excited for you, what a great achievement! Party time! Was the restaurant good as well?

Mindi said...

Congratulations!

(What does ONC mean?)

sambrael said...

The restaurant was pretty good - great lunch menu (pretty pricey at night).

ONC is the oncology nursing certification - just another feather in my cap, with a yearly bonus. :)

aja said...

congrats!

Michael Whitley said...

Congrats Kristina! You should be very proud, that's quite an accomplishment!