Thursday, January 3, 2008

Braces

Today was the day.

James insists that I look cute with braces, but I know it will look even better when all the brackets are in a line. Now they are each centered on their individual teeth, but the teeth themselves are all over the place (thus, the "need" for braces). It took 2 1/2 hours to apply the brackets, place the top wire, have Bart (Dr. Carter to everyone else) change his mind and take off the top wire, apple two "buttons" (brackets on the inside of the teeth) and attach "chains" (chain-shaped rubber bands) inside and out on both sides of the top and outside on both sides of the bottom, remove one side on the bottom (to straighten my midline, or something), place a wire on the bottom, explain how to brush, floss, and manage mouth irritations, and send me on my way. Whew!

I got out of the ortho office and had to put on some make-up, I felt so "Ugly Betty" (the TV show, not my fabulous mommers). Then, I called Mark, my hair stylist, on the drive back to Portland (talking on my cell phone on the highway, but it was obviously an emergency!) for an afternoon appointment. The final result (taken on my webcam, so please forgive the poor resolution):





I'll admit, I'm getting used to the look. Maybe next time, I'll get royal blue bands to match my nursing school scrubs.

3 comments:

ritzcrackerman said...

You are so cute!!!

Heather Whitley said...

Very cute. Is this your second round? I can't remember what kind of orthodontia you had as a kid (besides that dreaded bionater, lol).
If it's your first time, I'd love to hear about how the inside of your upper lip feels after a few weeks. That's what I remember most. That, and how your whole mouth ached after the days they tightened them.

Heather Whitley said...

Oh, and tell James to post! I want to know more about him than just his age and that he was born in the year of the dog.