Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Talk to me!

Maybe I'm obsessing more about these braces than I should, but I swear they make me more approachable. It's like the little metal brackets are shouting "I'm friendly! Talk to me!" or something. Yesterday at clinicals, I got the "friendly elevator conversation" every time I got on, and this evening when James and I were waiting to pick up a pizza, this fellow started chatting it up with me about everything and nothing. Now, I know Oregonians are friendly folk, and it's not like this is the first time anyone has ever started up a friendly conversation, but the frequency of occurance has increased in the last week to the point that even James thought it was a bit uncanny.

Not that it's a bad thing. Just inexplicable. Perhaps I naturally have an aloof expression (a friend that I had in high school once told me that she thought I was such a snob in junior high when I was actually just mind-numbingly shy) and the braces tone it down to friendly face. In any case, I'll take it. At least I don't look like I'm 14, like one of the nurses on my clinical floor with braces does, and she's 29. Thus, I get approached, but I still get the respect I deserve, which, for a nursing student, isn't much, but again, I'll take what I can get.

1 comment:

Mindi said...

Are you having a hard time closing your mouth over them? Maybe everyone things you are smiling at them; therefore, they need to respond.