Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Score!

One thing James has taught me is that joy comes from the little things, but you have to allow yourself to toss away your pride and just get giddy.  (I live to hear his little "squee!" when I make Rice Krispies and if you've never heard it, you life is that much poorer.)

So I went out running errands today and as I was checking out at the Home Depot, I randomly decided to get cash back based on a conversation I had with the owner of the baking supply shop at my previous stop.  We had been talking about how people use their debit cards for the most minute purchases and how it sometimes costs the store more to charge the purchase than to just give the merchandise away for free.  In any case, I'd given him my last four dollar bills and decided to get some cash for future impulse purchases.  As I was at a U-Check station, I scanned my purchase and agreed to the $10 cash back before looking down to the little slot where my cash should appear, only to find a one dollar bill where my ten should be.  Well!  I held the measly dollar up for the cashier, who was manning the four different stations, to see and said, "Um, this should be a ten" in what I hoped was not my biz-natch voice, but probably was (James always points it out when I get saucy with the cashiers, but he wasn't there).  Then, the poor man came over and very nicely reached up further into the slot and produced my wayward ten dollar bill.  "They sometimes don't come all the way down the slope," he explained very nicely, especially considering my tart little remark earlier.  "So, this one dollar is a bonus?" I asked hopefully.  "Sometimes people don't take all their cash," he agreed (or I'm assuming he was agreeing with me, as I didn't wait around for him to ask for it as re-payment for my little attitude hissy).

So, free dollar!  Score!  Here's a picture of my loot, taken along side the ten for perspective.

No comments: